Tuesday, June 4, 2013

June 4, 2013

I was up at 2:30 am simply unable to continue to tangle with my bed sheets while getting no sleep whatsoever. I had quite a productive morning dispatching emails and getting started on the answer keys to the e-booklet, which is going to be another lengthy undertaking.

The landlady showed up on time and went through the bills that had been festooning my door for the last couple of weeks only to say most of them had already been taken care of. We had discussed the possibility of her buying both my sleeping bag and the oversize backpack I had brought with me. She asked me to set them aside while she got the money for them.

Meka also agreed to keep my desk, saucepan and dish rack paying me half of what I’d paid a few months ago. I was more than happy to recoup any portion of my investment. I paid the rent for the month of June minus the cost of replacing the broken window pane. Meka would not agreed to my just taking the money for the household items from the rent money claiming she needed to deliver that money to somebody else.

Damira called to confirm we’d go to the Osh Bazaar so I could look for a few souvenirs and a seamstress for the last alterations I’d need before going home. The day was muggy again and the threat of rain was hanging in the air. After having a bite to eat of my polenta and vegetable medley, we got on a marshrutka and after much twisting and turning in the cavernous market, found the seamstress.

She promised to have the three items ready in 30 minutes, which seemed unreal to me, but the souvenir stands were nearby and we got busy rating all the objects offered for its suitability for the members of my family and close friends. Damira pointed at some lovely scarves hanging from a hook remarking that they were hand painted and made of silk in the most beautiful of colors.

I had enough money to purchase eight of them along with a quirky felt hat for Heidi, Stephanie’s niece. Somehow, I was convinced by Damira that I should take home the typical short-sleeve, knee-length velour vest with the embroidered design common around here, so I’d have something only made in Kyrgyzstan. I was reluctant at first, but then realized I could wear it over pants or skirt during the winters and it could become a conversation piece.

I paid 900 soms, or about $20.00, and then returned to seamstress who hadn’t had a chance to finish working on my pieces yet. She was full of curiosity about and Damira did her best in answering her questions. She charged me 270 som, or about five dollars, to work on three pieces of clothing. I gave her 300 for all her efforts.

We took the trolley together up to my place, and Damira went on to a school where some kind of event was taking place. I desperately needed to take a nap as my eyelids were fluttering uncontrollably for the lack of sleep I’ve faced lately.


When I woke up, I went back to the answer key project and was able to finish the grammar portion of it only to realize that the speaking and vocabulary ones are even longer. I felt dejected and unable to face such a long typing session while even questioning if I really want to finish the booklet in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment